Action item 12.14
Consultation undertaken on draft policy, guideline, framework, Bill development.
That to the extent practicable, gas companies be required to source goods, services and workers from local communities. This must include the development of training programs for Aboriginal and other local workers to develop the necessary skills and expertise to maximise opportunities for local Environment Management Plan in any onshore shale gas industry.
To be completed by end June 2022.
Action item update
Implementation of the Gas Service and Supply Plan that was launched on 5 March 2020 to increase local participation in the gas industry.
Onshore Gas Supply Chain Working Group established to coordinate industry and government efforts to maximise regional benefits and local opportunities.
Members include NT Government, Santos, Origin Energy, Armour Energy, Empire Energy, Tamboran Resources, Central Petroleum, Australian Petroleum and Production Exploration Association (APPEA) and ICN NT.
Government initiatives being implemented:
- Various NT Government business programs including:
- Territory Economic Reconstruction Commission (TERC):
- As per TERC initiatives, development of Aboriginal Procurement Policy as part of the overarching Aboriginal Contracting Framework.
- NT Government commissioned study to undertake a skills and capacity analysis of the regions. The first of these has been in the Barkly Region and the one for Big Rivers Region is currently underway.
- Implementation of the Barkly Regional Deal (Federal, NT and Barkly Regional Council) that includes:
- Development of an Economic Growth Strategy – due for completion mid-2022
- Beetaloo Aboriginal Economic Development Strategy — a study by Charles Darwin University on behalf of the Federal Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Communications
- Development of a Regional Workforce Strategy due for completion 2022
- Juno Jobs – pathways to apprenticeships and traineeships; working model developed for community consultation as a pilot program specific to the Barkly region
- Development of a Barkly Business Hub in Tennant Creek due for completion 2022.Other Government Initiatives:
Other Government Initiatives:
- Northern Territory Business Hub announced in March 2022 and to be delivered by Northern Territory Indigenous Business Network. Will have satellite offices across the Northern Territory.
Industry led engagement:
- Industry-engagement of Traditional Owners for environmental and heritage surveys.
- Industry-led liaison meetings, town briefings and community consultations including industry participation in regional events and conferences.
- Individual Exploration Agreements and Indigenous Land Use Agreements are typically negotiated directly by industry licence holders.