Action item 13.3
Approved by decision makers.
That the Government works with gas companies, training providers, local workers, job seekers, Land Councils and local Aboriginal corporations and communities to maximise opportunities for local people to obtain employment during all phases of any onshore shale gas development.
Action item update
An Onshore Gas Supply Chain Working Group has been established to coordinate industry and government efforts to maximise regional benefits and local opportunities. Members include NT Government, Santos, Origin Energy, Empire Energy, Tamboran Resources, Central Petroleum, Australian Petroleum and Production Exploration Association (APPEA) and the Industry Capability Network Northern Territory.
Local Benefit Reporting:
- Current active explorers in the Beetaloo to provide to government an annual local benefit report from the production phase summarising commitment to local benefit and employment. NT Government will seek participation from other petroleum title holders once they become active.
- An aggregated industry report on local benefit outcomes to be published annually from the production phase. NT Government has committed to funding the first three reports.
Government initiatives being implemented:
- Business growth programs and grants
- Business pivot grants
- Business upskilling
- Aboriginal business development program
- Small business champion guidance
- Territory Business Centre's in Katherine and Tennant Creek
- JobTrainer Program
- Aboriginal employment programs such as Aboriginal Workforce Grants and Aboriginal Responsive Skilling Grants
- NT VET Programs / Apprenticeship and Traineeships
- Territory Workforce Program
- Industry Buildskills Program.
Implementation of the Barkly Regional Deal (Federal, NT and Barkly Regional Council) includes:
- Beetaloo Aboriginal Economic Development Strategy — a study by Charles Darwin University on behalf of the Federal Department of Infrastructure Transport, Regional Development and Communications
- Development of a Regional Workforce Strategy
- Juno Jobs – pathways to apprenticeships and traineeships; working model developed for community consultation as a pilot program specific to the Barkly region
- Development of a Barkly Business Hub in Tennant Creek.