Approved by decision makers.
That prior to the grant of any further exploration approvals, the following areas must be declared reserved blocks under section 9 of the Petroleum Act, each with an appropriate buffer zone:
- areas of high tourism value;
- towns and residential areas (including areas that have assets of strategic importance to nearby residential areas);
- national parks;
- conservation reserves;
- areas of high ecological value;
- areas of cultural significance; and
- Indigenous Protected Areas.
Action item update
The government’s Reserved Block Policy was finalised in July 2019 in accordance with the Inquiry’s recommendation, following community consultation.
There will be a staged approach to declaring reserved blocks under s9 of the Petroleum Act. Areas to be declared a reserved block and maps of the areas can be found here