Approved by decision makers.
That, at all times, gas companies must have a dedicated weeds officer for each gas field who is responsible for weed management and whose role includes:
- training all field workers in the identification of weeds, especially gamba and grader grass, and to establish an effective reporting system for any suspected weed incursions;
- designing and implementing effective weed surveillance; and
- ensuring prompt and effective management of any weed incursions in consultation with affected landholders.
That the gas industry funds a dedicated officer responsible for weed management associated with any onshore shale gas development. This officer is to be located in the Government’s Weed Management Branch in a regional centre. The officer will be responsible for:
- coordinating regional weed baseline assessments and subsequent weed surveillance; and
- overseeing strategic and effective management of any weed incursions by gas companies.
Action item update
The obligation on gas companies to have a dedicated weeds officer for each gas field have been built into weed management plan guidelines which are required to be complied with by the Code of Practice.
The Guideline has been released along with the Code of Practice. A dedicated weeds officer has been employed by the Department of Environment, Parks and Water Security working closely with industry to ensure weeds related risks are appropriately managed.