Community and Business Reference Group meet for the seventh time
Issued 25 Jun 2020
The Onshore Shale Gas Community and Business Reference Group (Reference Group) held its seventh meeting in Darwin on 2 June 2020.
Established to provide a forum for government to seek advice and share information, the Reference Group received updates on:
- progress of the Framework for Strategic Regional Environmental Baseline Assessments (SREBA); including the outcomes of public consultation on the draft Framework which were completed in early 2020, and plans to form a regional reference group for the development of the SREBA in the Beetaloo Sub-Basin
- draft Offsets policy related to the Environment Protection Act 2019, which was released for public comment at the end of 2019
- status of Environmental Management Plans (EMPs) currently under assessment by the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR)
- development of the Gas Service and Supply Plan, including actions to grow the service and supply industry, and grow Territory research and innovation and training. The Plan is available online.
- work underway for the Aboriginal Information Program to address recommendations 11.5 and 11.6
The Reference Group also discussed the ongoing mechanisms for oversight of Stage 3 of the Implementation Plan and noting the term of the CBRG was set to conclude on 30 June 2020, requested Government consider extending their term for a further 6 months till 31 December 2020.
The Reference Group noted that as at 30 April 2020, and as per the 6-monthly update, 60 of the 135 recommendations have been fully completed, 71 have commenced, and four are yet to commence.
For full details of the meeting and to read Communique 7 .