Onshore Shale Gas Community and Business Reference Group
This fact sheet supports the implementation recommendations of the Scientific Inquiry into Hydraulic Fracturing in the Northern Territory.
Increasing Transparency and Accountability
The Onshore Shale Gas Community and Business Reference Group (the Reference Group) provides feedback and advice to the Hydraulic Fracturing Inquiry Implementation Taskforce in the Department of the Chief Minister.
The Reference Group is essential to ensure stakeholders have oversight and input into the implementation of the recommendations from the Final Report from the Scientific Inquiry into Hydraulic Fracturing in the Northern Territory.
The Reference Group is an additional way to increase transparency and accountability of the implementation process, outside normal government reporting systems.
The purpose of the Reference Group is to provide:
- advice to the Northern Territory Government on the implementation plan and its subsequent execution to ensure that the plan aligns with community and industry expectations
- a forum to share information and provide opportunities for cooperation, and collaboration with key stakeholders
- a medium through which key stakeholders can communicate their views about the implementation framework and its subsequent execution directly to the Government.
Each member of this group brings a diversity of skills, experience and views from across the community, environmental groups, local business, the gas industry and local government, placing them in good stead to constructively contribute to the process.
The members are:
- Mr Denys Stedman (Chair) – Buy Local Advocate
- Mr Jimmy Cocking – Director, Arid Lands Environment Centre
- Mr Keld Knudson – Director, NT Exploration and Onshore Environment, Australian Petroleum Production and Exploration Association
- Ms Julie-Ann Stoll – Manager – Mining, Central Land Council
- Mr Greg Bicknell – Chief Executive Officer, Chamber of Commerce
- Ms Gillian Duggin – Principal Lawyer and Executive Officer, Environmental Defenders Office
- Mr Geoff Crowhurst – Chair, Katherine Mining Services Association
- Ms Fay Miller – Mayor, Katherine Town Council
- Prof Alan Cass – Director, Menzies School of Health Research
- Mr Michael Bridge – Chairman, Tourism NT
- Mr Greg McDonald – Manager Minerals and Energy, Northern Land Council
- Mr Paul Burke – Chief Executive Officer, NT Farmers
- Mr David Ciaravolo –Executive Officer, Amateur Fisherman’s Association of the NT
- Mr Tom Stockwell – former President of the Northern Territory Cattlemen's Association
- Mr Bobby Nunggumajbarr – Chairman, Yugul Mangi Development Aboriginal Corporation
- Mrs Katherine Warby – Barkly Pastoralist and Business Owner
Implementation of the recommendations requires careful management and coordination.
In addition to the establishment of the Reference Group, future engagement opportunities will be scheduled across the Territory, in accordance with Government’s commitment to engage widely with Territorians.
Contact the Onshore Shale Gas Community and Business Reference Group
You can contact the Onshore Shale Gas Community and Business Reference Group directly via email CBreference.Group@nt.gov.au