Northern Territory gas strategy
Vision: By 2030, the Territory is a world-class gas production, manufacturing and services hub.
Darwin is home to a globally significant liquefied natural gas (LNG) export hub. The Darwin LNG and Ichthys LNG projects supply over 10% of Japan’s annual global gas imports.
The Northern Territory (NT) has developed the local infrastructure and expertise required to support high calibre projects, including the US$37 billion INPEX-led Ichthys LNG Project, the US$5 billion ConocoPhillips-led Darwin LNG Project and the $800 million Jemena Northern Gas Pipeline.
The Territory Government is committed to achieving its vision for a world-class gas production, manufacturing and services through its five point plan to:
- expand the world-scale Darwin LNG export hub.
- grow the Northern Territory's service and supply industry.
- establish gas-based processing and manufacturing.
- grow research, innovation and training capacity.
- contribute to Australia's energy security.